Friday, June 17, 2011

Another Day Older, Four Teeth None-the-Wiser

You know what makes having a food blog really difficult?  Not being able to chew.  Three weeks ago I bid farewell to my wisdom teeth on the blog and said hello to so many bowls of mashed potatoes, butternut squash soup, tapioca pudding, homemade applesauce and vegetable broth.  All things that I enjoy.  And by enjoy I mean like enough to not want to ruin them for myself by having to eat them for a week solid.  Two weeks ago I finally said hello to more flavorful things like pho (seriously, there was a heavenly sunburst in the clouds and angels singing on this day).  And one week ago, just as I was starting to eat fairly normally again I said hello to a loverly sinus infection.  You know what feels best to a raw throat/what you have the energy to make when you feel like crap (sorry, grandma)?

Mashed potatoes, butternut squash soup, tapioca pudding, homemade applesauce and vegetable broth.  Lucky for me I had plenty on hand, right?

Now that I am nearly back at 100% I was able to spend a lovely birthday visiting such favorites as The Red Hot and Marcia's Silver Spoon as well as Peanut Sauce Thai, which has yet to be featured here for it's delicious Imperial Noodle dish with oh-so-good fried tofu.

But I digress!  While I haven't really felt up to doing a lot of cooking lately, I do still have one dish, BTE (Before Tooth Extraction) in my back pocket.  Periodically, Derek and I get together with Mike & Angela for an awesome night of food and board games.  Yes, really, we're all in our 20's.  Sometimes we go out to eat, other times we like to cook for each other.  This particular week Derek and I decided to make enchiladas.

Props to Derek's mom, Mary, who lent me her camera when my battery died!
These ended up being quite tasty even though they weren't extravagant to make.  For the filling we roasted an onion and a couple of poblano and anaheim peppers in the oven (it rains in Washington) and added them to a box of spanish rice, a can of tomatoes and a bunch of shredded cheddar and cheddar jack cheese.  We wrapped the filling in flour tortillas, topped with a store-bought green verde enchilada sauce, more cheese and fresh avocados at the end.  

Tasty and easy to make just the way you want them!  A cooking word to the wise...or, actually, to the unwise: If you have any trace of onion on your hands don't rub your eyes.  Ouch.  

Happy to be eating again,
The Veggie Monster

ps - What? Did you really think I'd forget to plug shamelessly? Psh.  Facebook and Twitter



No comments:

Post a Comment