Sunday, May 8, 2011

I left my heart stomach in Vancouver, BC

There is a magical land in the north.  They have flowers, sunshine, amazing public transit, and some really great food!  Vancouver reminds me of Disneyland.  In Disneyland there's Aventureland, Fantasyland, Tomorrowland, Main Street, and it's the happiest place on earth.  Vancouver has Gastown, Yaletown, Chinatown, and the food far supersedes Mickey Mouse pancakes which might just make it my happiest place on earth.  If you need further proof: Disneyland & Vancouver.  I mean, really.

We did our absolute best to eat our way through the city.  Really, we didn't have a choice.  Our many stops for food were totally necessary to keep our energy up what with all the walking and the tandem bicycle riding and the maniacal laughter due to sudden sun exposure.  I'll try to keep it short.  And sane.

First up was a stop in Chinatown at the Boss Bakery.  Derek and I really love red bean cake so naturally we got two kinds.  The first was a red bean pastry that was totally buttery and flaked all over us as we sat on the park bench to eat it.  While watching girls' field hockey.  Oh Canada.  The second was a red bean rice cake.  This one was my absolute favorite.  There was a light dusting of superfine coconut on the rice cake; they're just little pillows of ooey gooey goodness with just a little bit of understated sweetness from the red bean paste.


Next was lunch at Sitar Indian Restaurant in Gastown for their vegetarian lunch special.  A nice little mixed vegetable curry over rice with peas.  It wasn't anything extraordinary but I love Indian food and have yet to meet a dish that I did not like.  It was also a pretty good value for a very tasty and filling lunch (and a good place to get away from the big and scary banana python we passed on the street - Derek got a good kick out of watching me freak out).  And just like good little travelers, we ate it all.  Leave no leftover uneaten.  Leave no box behind.

Enough of that.  Our next culinary pit stop took us to the Yaletown Brewery.  I thought I was so awesome for pulling this one out of nowhere by just pointing at the map but apparently we had already been advised to go here by a friend and I had simply forgotten.  Subconscious: 1, Me: 0.  I ordered the "Hills Special Wheat" - aka a Hefeweizen.  It was crisp and fruity and lovely to enjoy as the sun shone on the outdoor bar seating and we watched passersby along the picturesque brick street below.  Derek ordered the seasonal pilsner, the official name of which escapes me at the moment but since Derek didn't like it I got to finish it.  Once I got past the taste from my own beer, the pilsner was also delightful.

The next place we stopped in at was entirely by accident, no help from little 'ole subconscious this time.  Our intent was to visit Queen Elizabeth Park.  You know, for the pretty flowers and the water feature and that sun thing, again.  Don't forget about the sun.  What we did not know is that the park also has this: Seasons in the Park.  A beautiful place with a beautiful view.  So we went in for the fries, of course.  Luckily, we also decided to order the truffled mushroom soup.  Both were good, but of course the soup far outshone the fancy fries (otherwise called "pomme frites").  I'll leave the fries to your imagination but the soup was subtly smokey, creamy and sprinkled with truffle oil.  Overall, a nice, hearty and earthy combination.  I was also surprised with a decadent berry cheesecake.  Pictures unavailable due to the fact that I was too enamored of the cheesecake to remember that I had a camera.



The grand finale was at The Naam - a vegetarian restaurant.  If you remember my post about Marcia's and portion size, The Naam is very similar.  Every plate that was whisked out of the kitchen was heaped with food.  Regardless of the fact that Derek and I waited for almost two hours for a table and food we still couldn't dig in until we had a viable plan of attack on our plates.  The food - I had a Paneer Curry with Chapati - was delicious and there was more than enough of it to satisfy our grumbling tumblies.  I really enjoyed the salad which was covered in sprouts, shredded carrots and beets. Two hours is a long time to wait, and service was a little absent; which is saying something since, of all my faults, a lack of understanding for busy servers isn't really one of them.  These things are generally made up for, though, by extra wine and a free cookie at the end of one's meal - good job, Naam.  Also, it didn't hurt that the couple at the table next to us insisted that things were never normally this slow at The Naam.  All in all - it was a very contented bus ride back to the city.  

If this picture-filled post isn't enough to make you hungry, then you might just be a hopeless case.  Or very full.  Either way, I hope you enjoy a lovely mother's day.  And don't forget, if you've got that facebook account go here and click that "like" button!

Veggily Yours,
The Veggie Monster

1 comment:

  1. I wanna go to The Naam again. There are so many things I didnt eat!

    ReplyDelete