Sunday, July 10, 2011

Mmm Mmm Good!

Remember when I was on a roll, posting twice in one week? Yeah, I told you not to hold me to that!  After not having cooked anything but frozen meals and top ramen for a couple weeks, today's creation is brought to you by the boyfriend who lied about having a cold in order to surprise his girlfriend; thereby inspiring her to make soup!  And what a tasty soup it was.

I've been inspired by curry powder a lot lately so I used this inspiration when thinking about soup ingredients.  I started with onions, carrots and garlic which I let sweat until they were fairly tender.  (By the way, if you're looking for a good way to chop onions and also happen to be a lover of Alton Brown like I am, go check out minute four of this clip).  I added a little bit of yellow curry powder at this stage and a pinch of paprika.  Ah, "pinch of paprika".  Doesn't that just sound pleasant? Really, say it with me now...

Anyway, on to the next stage.  To my carrots and onions I added one can of garbanzo beans, also something that has been inspiring me a lot lately.  And then I added two diced cucumbers and more curry powder.  If you like a little bit of heat, I found that simply adding tabasco to taste at this stage gave it a nice little kick.  Finally, I added just over a quart of vegetable stock and let it everything mingle and get to know each other really well before adding in green onions and a bit of basil ("bit of basil" also has an extremely nice ring to it) before serving.

Voila!
Quite tasty, quite easy to make and it has been providing excellent leftovers.  We did agree, though, that next time it would be two cans of garbonzos and one cucumber.  But it's all about personal preference.

And that's that!  Until next time (hint: some more enchiladas will be coming soon to a blog near you),
The Veggie Monster

1 comment: